Whirrrr.... rr rr r
We're writing tonight?
Cool, are we finally talking about FTLB?
It's.. complicated. It's a heavily polarized subject at this point in time.. and nothing I say will do anything but inflame the issue.... and I don't like doing conflict - that's why.
Oh, then are we talking about our 2-year anniversary? Two years doing THIS! 2 WHOLE
YEARS at the reins of Plate Fodder!, man.. aren't you stoked?
Eh, I don't wanna...
I don't know... everyone does. I mean, It's a deal to me - but It just isn't that big of a milestone and I doubt anyone else would be interested. You know, I get the excitement and I get the joy, but that isn't predicated on anyone else following along. This is what I do... I cook.. I write...
You're in a foul mood tonight...
No, just pensive
No idea... just hit me earlier in the evening and I haven't been able to shake it.
You need a muse...
I know what it is. I don't need a source of inspiration.. I need some singularity of thought.
Fine I'm with you. So, oh great literary source - what are we talking about then?
I've got a thing... with fish..
Oooo... Something charred... with a delightful foam and some fava beans?
No... crusted cod with pan crisped new potatoes and Brussels sprouts
Fried fish and crispy potatoes... that's Fish and Chips
no.. there's no batter, just a nice panko breading..
you can Dance around the issue all night - it's Fish n Chips
there's no batter... it's breaded...
What's on it... malted vinegar?
well, there is a little..
it's In the Mayonnaise sauce!
yes, Browned Butter Caper Mayo
... that's tartar sauce...
well, it did turn out a little like a warm...
Tar Tar Sauce - have you lost your mind? I let you get away with the tuna casserole - because it
was cute... and you know I love me some tuna....
it is what it is... do you want to help, or are you going to bust my chops all night?
Chops? that's an idea.. you know those lamby chops are still in the freezer from Easter.
no... no chops.. cod. Do you want to help?
Na.. go sell the world that your meal isn't Fish n Chips... I'm cranking up the Pandora and
washing the shame off me.
Fine. Stay off the Ramone's Station - it'll just wind you up and you'll never get to sleep.
"Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated
Nothin' to do and no where to go-o-oh I wanna be sedated
Just get me to the airport put me on a plane
Hurry hurry hurry before I go insane..."
Panko Crusted Cod
with Browned Butter Caper Mayo
4 - 6 Ounce Cod Fillets
1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1 Tablespoon Chopped Parsley
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Egg - Beaten
1/4 Cup Oil
For The Mayo
1/4 Cup Tart Mayonnaise (Hellmanns or Dukes)
1 Tablespoon Capers
1 Teaspoon Shallots - Minced
1 Tablespoon Malted Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Butter
Medium Saute Pan
Small Mixing Bowl
- Preheat oven to 375
- Mix together the parsley and panko and place on a dinner plate
- Pat the fillets dry, season with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour
- Heat the oil in the saute pan over medium high heat
- Dip the fillets in beaten egg and transfer to the plate of crumbs; pressing down, coat the fish well on all sides
- Transfer to the heated oil and cook for 3 minutes on each side - the panko should be lightly browned at this time
- When all the fillets are browned, place them in the saute pan, transfer to the oven and bake at 375 for 10 minutes
For the Mayo:
- In a saute pan over medium high heat, melt the butter until lightly browned and nutty
- Add the capers and shallots and cook until the shallots are translucent
- Remove from the heat and add the vinegar
- Transfer to a small bowl and mix in the mayonnaise
- Serve a dollop on each fillet
Pan Crisped New Potatoes
and Brussels Sprouts
6 New Potatoes - Quartered
8 Brussels Sprouts - Quartered
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
Medium Saute Pan
Small Zipper Bag
- Heat the skillet on medium high heat
- Place the quartered potatoes and sprouts in the bag and microwave on high for 2 minutes ( If you'd prefer Not to use the 'wave - blanch the quarters in hot water for 2 minutes then drain thoroughly)
- Toss the veg in the salt, pepper and oil and place cut side down in the skillet
- Let them cook without moving for 3 minutes
- Flip the potatoes and sprouts to the other cut side and cook another 3 minutes or so - or until they have a nicely browned color
- Remove from the heat and serve with the fish