It's the Memorial Weekend and I'd be remiss if I didn't have a grillin' thang or two to add to the backyard hoo haa. And since I'm not going to be doing the cooking tomorrow.. you get it today.
And, since I kinda lean that way anyway, it's a couple of stupid simple dishes from the Asian inspired side of the road:
Sweet Chili Pork Blades and a Quick Griddle Kale Stir Fry
Okay, I say simple - and I mean it. So that means I'm pulling together a couple of bottled and canned things to speed up the process.
1st, you're going to need a bottle of this:
|Thai Sweet Chili Sauce|
Right then, the Marinade - this will make enough marinade for either 6 blade steaks or a couple of pounds of pork ribs.
Sweet Chili Grilled Pork Steaks
1 Pound Blade Steaks, Chops
1 Cup Sweet Chili Sauce
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 Large Zipper Bag
- Add all the ingredients to the bag
- Squitch everything around to mix
- Add the pork and marinate in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Heat your gas / charcoal / jiffy grill to 500 degrees
- Brush the grill plate with oil
- Place the steaks (or Chops or Ribs) on the plate and close the lid for 2 minutes
- At 2 minutes, open the grill and rotate the steaks 90 degrees and close the lid
- Cook for another 2 minutes
- At 2 minutes, Flip the steaks over and repeat the process
- Place the steaks on the upper rack, turn off the grill, and allow to sit in a closed environment for another minute.
- Plate up and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing
Kale Stir Fry
I'm using the canned Chinese corn for a couple of reasons. One - it isn't sweet. And, Two - it's damned fun to eat the whole leetle ears.
Serves 4 to 6
1 Packed Cup Julienne Kale
1 Cup Shredded Cabbage
1 Medium Onion - Peeled and Sliced Thin
1/2 Cup Baby Carrots
1 Cup Canned Chinese Corn - Drained
1 Clove Garlic - Minced
2 Tablespoons Oil
1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 Tablespoon Tamari or Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds
1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar
Griddle Pan - or - Large Grill Safe Skillet
- Mix the brown sugar, sesame oil and sesame seeds together and set aside
- Heat the pan on the grill until smoking hot then add the oil
- Immediately add the onions and garlic and move them around on the pan a bit until they begin to smell
- Add the kale and cabbage and stir them around until the kale is bright green and wilted
- Add the soy sauce, corn and baby carrots and griddle for 3 to 5 minutes (until the corn begins to brown a bit on the edges)
- Remove from the heat and add the sugar and sesame mixture, stir everything under well to coat completely
- Serve immediately